If you're renovating, doing extensions to your home or building a granny flat, you still need to obtain building approval from us.

This includes any improvements made under or attached to the roof of your house such as:

  • Renovations to the existing house (not including roof restoration or roof replacements)
  • Renovating a carport into a garage or games room
  • Garages
  • Patio, veranda or pergola that will be attached to the main roof and closed in
  • Any other changes affecting the structure

What do you need to provide us with?

You will need to submit an Addition/Alteration application together with your building plans via our self-service system BuilderNet. The plans we require include:

  • Floor plan - drawings detailing the internals of the building
  • Site plan - measurement details of the location/distance of the building from the boundaries

If you're an owner-builder and need to submit the application yourself, here is a simple guide to using Buildernet.

View associated application fees and charges

What about other projects around the home?

If you're planning to build a retaining wall, masonry structure or shed, you will need to submit a minor plan application. Application fees do apply.

Installing a pool or spa? Here’s what you need to do.

Need to relocate your meter?

Before we can move your meter, you will need to pay for a licensed plumber to relocate the internal pipework to the new location for your meter.

Find out more about relocating your meter